The issue I describe in this blog are related to my XenServer, my lab at home, be very careful with the modification I explain if you plan to make this change in your own environment… As always, do it on a test environment before please !

Since last week and my XenServer @ home crash, I chose to install the latest XenServer version, 5.6 FP1 (more info here) to try out some new features like Intellicache / open vSwitch / VM Protection and Recovery and the self service portal. The installation was as smooth as usual, just one question more than the previous version about the installation of Intellicache.

I’ve been able to reinstall all my VMs, configure everything and check all these new features. The only issue was my file system was running out of space very very very quickly…

I didn’t understand why at first because I’m not that skilled with XenServer with command line stuff but I needed to find out what was happening.

The first place to check when something wrong is going on, are the log files, you can find XenServer logs files here : /var/log , and the size of my log files were huge ! in less than 24hour I had 3 rotations of log on kern.log and messages log files… To buy me some time and allow me to continue to connect to the XenServer with XenCenter, I made some change in the rotation log configuration file /etc/logrotate.conf :

# see "man logrotate" for details
# rotate log files when they are bigger than 1MB.
# logrotate is broken so it cannot parse the size parameter.
# however the default is "size 1M".
#size 1M
 
# keep 20MB of logfiles
rotate 5
 
# create new (empty) log files after rotating old ones
create
 
# uncomment this if you want your log files compressed
compress
 
# RPM packages drop log rotation information into this directory
include /etc/logrotate.d
 
# no packages own wtmp -- we'll rotate them here
/var/log/wtmp {
    monthly
    minsize 1M
    create 0664 root utmp
    rotate 1
}
 
# system-specific logs may be also be configured here.

(more…)

8 96

  • I forgot to mention my network cards are :

    82574L Gigabit Network Connection (connected)
    MAC Address 00:1b:21:57:16:0a
    Device eth0

    RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (connected)
    MAC Address 90:e6:ba:3f:61:59
    Device eth1

  • Thanks! Will keep that in mind when updating my company’s lab environment…

  • Can’t reproduce that issue. Did you have Open vSwitch enabled (some of your log entries point to that) or standard L2 bridging?

    Cheers
    Thomas

  • Hi Thomas,
    I had this issue before enabling Open vSwitch and this is drivers related issue with the new kernel use in the final XenServer 5.6 FP1 release

    Cheers,

    Stephane

  • Pingback: - cliff davies()

  • Hi,

    got this same issue today. I wanted to update my 5. fp 1 to SP2…

    HP Tools have been installed.. i have read several posts dealing with this problem..

    Greetings Marco

  • Prince

    Thanks for the blog…. I got this error too today. My lab is XS5.6SP2. I’ve got VSwitch enabled in HA. I noticed the error is only on the busiest server. I’ll have to follow up with Citrix on the why.

  • Pingback: Control Domain Full « "DrEaM aNoThEr dReAm"()