What about MDX ? I think this is smart move from Citrix who push toward managing Apps and native Apps deployed to the mobile devices instead of trying to fully manage the device itself. Now this technology is not mature yet and needs some time and improvement and each version is a giant step forward. I’m really looking forward what’s coming and soon be announced by Citrix.
- Full support for both personal and corporate usage (BYOD)
- Corporate apps and data secure even on employee-owned devices
- New consumer-driven devices supported immediately
- No risk of corporate data loss or compliance exceptions when:
- Device is lost or stolen or employee leaves organization
- Collaboration / file sharing apps used on the device
- Governance is built-in
- Policies can be updated on hundreds of apps with no requirement to change source code
- No requirement for developers to change the way they develop apps or learn mobile security standards
What is the meaning of MDX ?
Mobile Device eXperience. There are 3 key MDX technologies :
Application wrapping tool
- Mobile App Wrap tool runs on Mac OS X
- Mobile App Wrap tool for Android Beta Available
- Takes a pre-compiled iOS native application bundle (.IPA) as input
- Produces repackaged iOS application bundle with Citrix app wrapper logic inserted (.MDX)
- Recertifies the repacked app with using a customer provided enterprise distribution profile
TIP : Where are stored IPA files on your MAC OS ?
- Mac OS X 10.7 Lion and 10.8 Mountain Lion: ~/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Mobile Applications/
- Mac OS X 10.6: ~/Music/iTunes/Mobile Applications/
- Windows 7: C:\Users\Username\My Music\iTunes\iTunes Media\Mobile Applications\
App Preparation Tool for iOS Applications (iOS only) installation
The application can be launch from the Applications within the Citrix folder
Using Citrix App Preparation Tool :
And then the application is asking for an iOS Distribution Provisioning Profile and iOS Distribution Certificate
If you’re like me and wondering how to get this two things, here you are :
This is where it hurts… to get the iOS Distribution Provisioning Profile a subscription to the iOS Developer Program is required and this is about 99$ per year.
Then the deployment can be done with the AppController
and voilà !
Since there are still a lot of NDA topics about this subject and since I won’t pay 99$ to Apple to write a bit more about that, that’s it for now but it gives a good overview of how you can handle mobile application with CloudGateway and the AppController.
The blog series :
- Citrix CloudGateway 2.5 – Configuration
- Citrix CloudGateway 2.5 – MDX
- Citrix CloudGateway 2.5 – ShareFile
- Citrix CloudGateway 2.5 – Access Gateway (Netscaler)
- Citrix CloudGateway 2.5 – iPad / iPhone configuration